View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Flugzeugmann View Post
I thought about the airline route, but in the current economy it seems like I'd have a better shot with a contractor. I currently have Instrument SEL, 210 TT looking to be a CFII, MEI as soon as I've saved up some money for the training.
Generally, when the airline outlook is poor, there are many experienced pilots on the street looking for whatever jobs are available...that is the case right now.

Most charter jobs will require 1200 TT due to FAR requirements.

Realistic mins to get a pilot (not CFI) job right now are 2000-3000 TT, with a bunch of ME. Contractor jobs may require military flight experience to compete.

But you don't need to worry about that right now...your path is the same as any other civilian pilot: Ratings (COMM, ME, CFI, CFII, MEI) then get an instructor job to get to 1000 TT and 100 ME...that might or might not be enough, but that is a good target for now.

Instructor jobs are scarce too, but as the economy turns around that should pick up a bit.

Also, I suggest that if you REALLY want to fly, do a 180 on the military...

If you are physically qualified, try to get an AD, Reserve, or guard flight slot.

If you are NPQ for flight, I would stay in the AF and earn your ratings on the side. Then start instructing at the base flying club or a local airport. That way you keep military pay and bennies until such time as you have enough flight experience AND airlines are hiring. Then resign and take a regional job.

If you can't do that, at least affiliate with a guard/reserve squadron as a staff person...that way you will have an income source while working your way up the civilian ladder, and can network with some airline pilots.