View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 06:38 PM
CWU1919
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2006

kansas was right pretty much. Some of these airlines have relationships and written agreements with some of these 4 year universities and look to these universities to produce a handful of pilots for them depending on their needs because they know what to expect in terms of what they will be getting. For instance where I go if you are a graduate from the flight program as a "flight officer major" with 750 TT, 50 ME you can apply to the Horizon direct hire program that is established with our university. You are then put into a pool and depending on things like your GPA, your behavior and your merit while in the program, you are ranked. Horizon then takes a handful of the top ranked candidates depending on their hiring needs and conducts interviews with these grads. It's part of the university's job to give you the tools to prepare you for the interview and so they ask what Horizon wants and then kind of tailor the program to fit Horizon's needs. Obviously many people choose not to participate in the direct hire program, but all the criteria is there for those who want to pursue it. I've never heard of a 135 that has a formal relationship with a university.
I think you are right in terms of the two pilot thing. 750 TT 50 ME I think is inexperienced for single pilot IFR and they are going to be nervous hiring someone with those hours just coming out of college. Another thing is that you will get all your ratings but after graduating you'll only have between 250-300 hrs and have to get the next several hundred within a small period of time usually instructing to stay qualified for the direct hire program and meet those mins. I just don't think these programs are good at preparing you for single pilot IFR but are much more capable of helping to set the foundation and a small taste of what it's like in the 121 world.