View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 02:14 PM
KC10 FATboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

I know your situation is unique, but there are many threads on here and other websites about whether one should join the military. I post the same comment to everyone ... so here it is.

DON'T JOIN the military if you don't WANT TO SERVE YOUR COUNTRY in the military. Joining just so you can hold on for 4-6 years, then go do something else, is probably going to be a decision you will regret. You must acknowledge things like:

1. You will go through basic and/or officer school training at age 34. Passing physicals and PT testing isn't going to be easy.

2. Being low ranking and treated like an 18 year old is going to suck, especially if you enlist; even as an officer.

3. Pay for college debt? That is news to me, but wouldn't surprise me. Always get second opinions and don't believe recruiters. Yes, they often lie to hook you.

4. Commitments could be a long way off. A USAF pilot training commitment is a minimum of 10 years. Do you want to be 45 when you can finally separate from the service? I know there are shorter commitments with other services, just make sure you know exactly what you're signing up for and for how long.

5. Are you ok with a non-aviation job that you don't like? What if they make you a services person and you work at and/or are in charge of feeding GIs in the chow hall? What if you get helicopters and not fixed-wing? What if you have to live in a barracks with 30 other dudes in Fayettenam, NC?

6. Are you cool with deploying and putting your life on the line? Trust me, in todays military, you're going to spend a significant portion of your life overseas at places you don't want to be. It is cool when you're young, but for someone trying to get married and to quickly start a family, it will knaw at ya.

Ok, so don't take any of this personally. These are just some of the things you have to consider. And being older (age 34), you have plenty of reasoning skills to figure this out on your own. I'm not purposely being hard on you, I just want you to think about ALL possible scenarios besides the $$$ that you *might* make.

Obviouly, you didn't really want to serve because you didn't join during the previous 16 or so years of eiligibity. So please, it you are truly commited to serving the Country, even for a government or President or war you don't support, get as much information you can BEFORE you commit and make an informed decision.

With that being said, speak with debt counselors and/or the student loan folks. I know they can at least stop repayment while you get back on your feet. Here is a good website with a lot of good reading material for helping get yourself back on your feet. https://www.daveramsey.com/ Good luck !!!