Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 05:28 PM
golfandfly
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009

boofer,

You have an interesting dilema. I am considering a return to AD for three years to get an active retirement. However, uprooting the family is difficult and I am lucky enough to be employed by a good carrier. The retirement is enticing..

I believe the tours are 3 years AFTER flight training, if required. I can't tell you for sure, but I believe the training for the T-6 or T-1 must be 3 or four months. If you could get a few months of AD before you retire from the guard, you would be in sanctuary. Something to think about. Another think I am not too sure about... If you are deployed (voluntary or involuntary) to AD, you get to retire early from the guard. I am sure you know this, but a year of activation means a year that you retire early. There are some caveats, but that is for another thread. What I was wondering, if you did three years of Title 10 orders, does this come off of age 60? I think they need to be contingency orders, I am sure someone here knows for sure. Just a thought....

They would probably let you continue even if you don't have 18 years, and if nothing else, you worked for 3 years to save more cash. Flight safety jobs have gotten much better. I've heard of guys making 80-90K, which isn't too bad considering the amount of work required. If you can find a job at your home station, it could be a very good deal. No retraining and no moving.

Good luck with your decision...