Thread: All in...
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 06:29 PM
d0rkiishchris
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Default All in...

Alright, I'm 24 years old and live in Tampa, FL. I work in the Audio Visual world, setting up, and programming control systems. Until a few months ago I was getting my private pilots license, and on the edge of being done. I've been slowly building up time since high school, but keep getting interupted with college, and now my job. My hours got cut back so now my wings have been clipped so to speak.

I've always wanted to work in aviation, ever since I was 9. When I was in High School I wanted to go to Embry Riddle. But as its so retardedly expensive, I couldn't fathom $150,000 in loans while making $35,000 a year. Even though I probably wouldn't mind living in a Toyota Camry if I got to fly a 737 every day, even a -200. I figured I'd go to USF, and fly on the side. It didn't really work out and flying got lost in translation. Now, I don't want to spend another day doing what I'm doing.

I found that the FAA is hiring ATC Trainees with a 24-credit hour certification from assorted colleges. I'm gonna move to Jax, Fl to do this training and then hope the FAA hires me as a trainee. With my income as a trainee and eventually controller, I plan to pay for flight training. I'll pay for my time away with loans and government grants if I can get them. I don't care at this point, money doesn't matter anymore.

Well, this is the plan I came up with. I've always wanted to control, there just hasn't been a college anywhere near me that had the training program. I was going to join the airforce to become a controller, but the recruiter said he couldn't promise it. I'd also consider embry riddle, I am just wasn't sure if you come out of there with enough hours to be hired by a carrier?

Thanks for reading