Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
R1200RT
Living the dream!

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: MD-11 Capt

Originally Posted by BOYCAPTAIN View Post
FDX is built under the RLA!....there is nothing from stopping other employees from organizing now...and this coming from someone who comes from an organization(IPA) who kicked out the teamsters!
In rare twist I agree with the Boy here. UPS has built it's business model over the past 100 or so years and has evolved to be what they are today. FedEx has done the same thing in much less time. I think it would be unfair to expect a company as large as FedEx to be able to modify and adapt to something that would cause the entire company to operate differently.

It's all how you started. FedEx started as an airline and bought some trucks. UPS has and still is a trucking company that has some planes. 80% of FedEx packages at some point ride in a FedEx plane. I'd bet the opposite is true at Big Brown.

UPS moves 3 or 4 times the amount of freight every day that FedEx does, but somehow does it with less than half the aircraft. The RLA is not for trucking companies.

Both are great companies but their operations are much different. My money is on "Uncle Fred" winning this argument.