Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 AM
bryris
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: Hotel

Originally Posted by ExperimentalAB View Post
Absolutely, but that is a direct result of the incredibly safe air transport SYSTEM that literally spoon-feeds us everything, making it next to impossible to kill ourselves. Try PIC Part 91 and you'll see it is a whole different animal...
I've done and still do part 91 PIC stuff and I agree with you. My point was that this may not be the cause of the problem. Accidents will always happen in rare instances due to a plethora of reasons. Marvin obviously knew how to recover from a stall - you don't get to his position without knowing AND demonstrating it. The fact that he didn't do what he knew (nerves and fear clouded his judgments in the heat of battle - a human reaction that is more an individual characteristic than one that can be overcome with mere experience) how to do is going to be a source of debate for years to come.

Any accident can be taken to this level. Recently there was a world class aerobatic champion that crashed his MX2 and took a kid down with him. He'd been flying crazy maneuvers for airshows, etc for years. But on this one day, clear blue and million, he turned it into a lawn dart. One can always determine the aerodynamic cause and state that if so so were done, the problem could have been prevented. True. But the fact is, IT WASN'T DONE. Is the reason in this aerobatic example, lack of experience (maybe) or more likely a clouding of reason ability that more than likely falls under the heading a human factors study than a lack of basic airmanship.