Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 AM
tank6102
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Right Seat...

Originally Posted by Superpilot92 View Post
wrong, it wouldnt cause a shortage of pilots, the pay being so low caused the shortage. there are plenty of pilots out there, but there arent that many pilots willing to work for peanuts. Not to mention the large number of pilots on furlough right now that need jobs, but i assure you between the corporate pilots, freightdogs and furloughs there are pilots out there able to do the job but the pay keeps them away from ever applying to the regionals. I've been there done that and if i ever was laid off at DAL i wouldnt apply to a regional and do that over again either. I'd go do something else until recall. The regionals just arent worth it to most especially today when upgrades are running in the 5-10 year range.
i disagree completely....pay is a mute point when it comes to pilot shortages. every flight school out there is gonna talk up the pay to every uninformed joe schmo who thinks it would be cool to fly an airplane for a living. i saw it every day as a flight instructor...the students would laugh and think i was joking when i told them they would basically live in poverty their first five years at an airline. they are being lied to by the people selling the schools and that will never stop. just like any other profession out there, there will always be the uninformed people that will do this without looking at the facts first.

with a raising of the minimums all you are going to see is a temporary shortage followed by a boom of people with the time. don't get me wrong, i am a low time guy and have no problem with raising the minimums. 1500 hours is more than reasonable to ask of someone to fly a bus around with people's lives in your hands. i do agree that pay needs to go up, i just think there will never be a TRUE shortage of pilots.

(sorry if i offended anyone named joe schmo out there)