View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 12:10 PM
shdw
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Originally Posted by NoyGonnaDoIt View Post
I wouldn't spend too much time trying to find one.
Chandelles are a maximum performance climb/course reversal maneuver originally taught in air to air combat. If the stall horn isn't blaring redo the maneuver and don't be a panzy.

Lazy 8s were designed to demonstrate clean, smooth, aircraft control in a symmetrical, ever changing, maneuver.

Eights on pylons were used for circling a target, giving the gunners the most stable target to fire at. For a a non military pilot I haven't found a purpose, these are a waste IMO.

Emergency descents are for a loss in cabin pressurization systems needing a maximum performance descent.

Steep turns are to demonstrate precise control in a more sensitive maneuver than typical flight.

Ground reference is to improve situational awareness by understanding; how air flow effects your ground track and what things you can do to mitigate those effects.

Power off 180s, do I really have to mention, for engine out procedures, circle the field set up for an abeam point at an altitude you like and do your 180. The thinking that you have to start these at 1000' is a bit ludicrous, you should practice it from any altitude (the same one each time) that you can comfortably accomplish the maneuver at. If you like 500 feet with a tight pattern because you feel you can perceive it better, then why not? The examiners might not like this, so learn it the regular way, but in a real emergency I wouldn't think they would ask what altitude you started your abeam approach .

Steep spirals are for engine loss, you approach a field then circle over it. The whole point is to end this maneuver at the altitude you intend to start your power off 180 from, discussed above. This is why I say the altitude you start your 180 from should be your own determined altitude that you feel works for you with the most accurate result. If pattern altitude isn't your thing, in a real emergency use whatever you need, 1000' start isn't the be all end all.

I think I got them all? let me know.