Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Boeing717Driver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: B-737 now.

Originally Posted by III Corps View Post
Funny thing is you're not actually flying a Boeing and not a 717. You're flying a Boeing marketing effort which renamed a re-engined, upgraded Douglas product, the DC-9 which was upgraded to the McDoug MD-80 and then this version was originally the MD-95. And any aviation historian will tell you the BOEING model 717 is actually the KC-135 which has a smaller fuselage diameter than the 707. So, are you saying you're a Boeing fan, a Douglas fan or a McDoug fan?

Also, Airbus came from Aerospatiale, not exactly a new company and that company came from Nord and Sud which also are not new companies. Granted not as old as Boeing but not exactly a newbie in the business either.

And as for composite aircraft, you are discounting the Starship and the Premier or were you limiting your scan to just airliners?
I am currently flying the 737 and "yes" I am a "Boeing" fan. I used to fly the 717, both of which our company currently operate. I know the history of the 717 including the 717 Air Force version you mention.

My "Boeing717Driver" handle was used when I signed up in here some time in the past. But now I fly a 737. Just easier to keep it that way. But my info area shows that I fly the 737. (Confusing I know.)

Your comments about Airbus history are correct. Boeing has been around longer in this particular "jetliner" industry. And my composite comment. I was referring to large airliner type designs and not small aircraft.

Bottom line. This 787 thing will work itself out. It has too. And NO it will not crush the company like some say. Granted. It will be a set back. But in 20 years from now when we all have flown in these things many, many times we wont even remember this story that well. It will be a thing of the Boeing history books.

(I hope I'm alive in 20 years.....) :-)

Boeing717Driver