Old 08-02-2009, 06:10 AM
BE19Pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by MU3001a View Post
Back in my Jetsream days, I would have been very p***ed at any FO that pushed the speed levers up (Garret eng. same as CL's) without getting the nod from me, even though SL's max is on the before landing checklist. Normal routine would be for the FO to put their hand on the SL's when they reached that part of the checklist and call "Speeds" but wait until recieving an affirmative "Speeds high" before moving them. Anyone know if the Colgan SOP's in respect to the props are the same on the Saab?
A J-Ball pilot could just as easily forget to call "speeds" and you wind up with the same scenario. What you are failing to see is the loss of situational awareness, not an incorrect procedure. CL's FULL-FOWARD was the proper procedure, and the crew was trained to do exactly what they did when it came to configuring. I cannot say for certain where the Captain's hands were, but it doesn't make any difference where they were if the distraction/error chain wasn't broken by proper control inputs. Given how quickly the yoke was programmed aft following the shaker, I suspect that Marvin's hand was on the yoke...The rest is history.