Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM
tsquare
No longer cares

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 767er Captain

Originally Posted by Sink r8 View Post
I did think about it, and there is a world of difference.

Sure: if I was flying at night in the weather, with one on fire, my survival instinct would be as strong when flying a hundred boxes as a hundred people. It would be poor professional judgment for me to think about passengers (or boxes) in this case anyway, and I would focus on the landing. HOWEVER, as soon as I got the thing on the ground, I would certainly be 100% focused on making sure everyone walks away, passengers, crew, and me.

Wouldn't you?

There are other difference between us and Bedford... We wouldn't say that watching another crew landing at night in the weather with one on fire is "fun". If they failed, we would't go to the crash site and take the wallets off the victims, or pilfer the cargo.
OK... let me make it a bit less extreme. Do you EVER think about the people in the back when you are landing an airplane on a calm VMC day? I don't. Oh maybe in a fleeting thought, but not really all that much. I'm busy doing what I am being paid to do. As far as him pilfering wallets and the such.. and I am not defending him per se.. but he is in management. His responsibility is to the investors. Not to you. You are in seat 36B.. This is where I feel that our unions.. not just ALPA.. have failed us so miserably. It's just business. We need to be properly compensated for the job we do, and we aren't.