Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Convairator
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Originally Posted by skiracers View Post
I have worked for a major airline for 36 years and have flown the industry through it's highs and lows, including 5 1/2 years of cumlative furloughs. My advice to a good number of FO's and Capt's who have had sons and daughter's interested in aviation as a career is to have a degree or an occupation in something unrelated to aviation. When the industry takes yet another downturn and you get DUIed,fired, layed off, furloughed, or quit in disgust (tired of those 4 hour standup layovers sleeping in a jetway) you must have a fall back or plan B, C & D. A degree in Engineering, Education, an Apprenticeship in IBEW, Pipefitters, or Carpenters union...... The Coglins and Mesas of the industry will treat you poorly at best. There are better under 10 seat Part 135 on demand jobs out there then what some commuters offer and you could build more PIC turbine hrs quickly flying boxs for Active Arrow or Koletta then pulling gear for some jerk in a Q400. Job security in this occupation, even with the majors, is a myth. So take your or your families hard earned $ and knock out your ratings at a Part 141 or Part 61 school, get back into college and finish your degree(s), pony up more $ for SIC training at Flight Safety and go out and live the dream/nightmare (your choice). That is what my 20 year old is doing right now. While attending Seattle Central CC, she got her Private at Wings Aloft on BFI. We're looking for a flight school for this Fall.ER had a accelerated Summer Program separate from the University. I would highly recommend their flight school at Prescott, AZ. Whatever you do, the quality, professionalism, and personalities of your instructors are important. A poor insructor or instructor student relationship could turn you away from aviation.
Great gouge skiracer. He is absolutley correct. DO NOT pursue any type of degree that has the word 'aviation' on it. There are 1 million ways to loose your job in aviation (something aviation professors never informed us of). Outside of aviation, your aviation degree is toilet paper with a picture frame around it.

The funny thing about my story, I always wanted to be a pilot or a teacher. I steered clear of the teaching route because I figured they didnt make enough money. With multiple years in this industry so far (since obtaining my useless 4 year aviation degree), I have not made even close to what a teacher makes (for a decent public school). Do not get an aviation degree! Sorry to be Debrah Downer but I would hardly say this industry is worth it.

Flying is cool. Living in a 2 bedroom crashpad with 10 guys is cool too! Getting paid 17,000 dollars by a regional is really cool. Getting furloughed is mega cool! Starting over at another company at the bottom is the coolest!