View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 04:44 AM
SayAgain
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: standing-by

Originally Posted by FighterHayabusa View Post
If I had my way:
1. Caps on medical liability payments. Gross malpractice lands the doctor in jail, not just without a license. This could save 5% off the top and possibly encourage more into the field.

1b) New degrees in between nurses and doctors that can provide for most primary care without needing a doctor supervisor. Incentives for new doctors (one of Canada's biggest problems is a doctor shortage).

2. Term limits for all politicians.

3. Mandatory emergency and catastrophic coverage - subsidies for those who REALLY can't afford it.

4. Non profit co-ops backed by government in case the worst happens, or government money with private administration for high risk pools. Basic coverage only, but consumers can buy-up higher tier care with private insurance on top of this.

5. Term limits for all politicians.

6. Move the cost of health care back to the consumer, replacing employer based coverage with individual tax credits. Let the consumer know what they are really paying and they will get angry if the doctor opens a $500 "suture kit" to give you two stitches.

7. Laws preventing insurance companies from dropping customers if they become sick. No lifetime maximums. Maybe disallow pre-existing condition screening... not sure about this one.

8, 9, 10 Term limits!

I don't know what to do about Medicare and Medicaid. I just don't see the private insurance market clamoring to cover people that a) can't pay for it or b) are very likely to be sick very soon. Medicare could probably start later now that people are healthier longer.
Some good points - I've always said something similar to the term limits. We should re-elect no one. Make it the law. You can serve one term, then someone else would serve, then if the original person wanted to serve again, they'd have to run for re-election, but only serve one term again. It's a less efficient way for politicians to get in there and wheel and deal. And if their constituents felt they were well represented by that person, they could serve again at a later date.

I agree on limits on liability - I don't even know what a doctor pays (and therefore us) for liability insurance in a year. And insurance should be given back to the consumer. They could pick a plan that fits them. If you're a 60 year old woman, you won't need to be covered for pregnancy. My employer doesn't cover my auto insurance, my auto insurance doesn't pay for dings, just large accidents, so why not my health insurance. It would be portable, wouldn't need to worry about pre-exisiting. Still not a perfect world, but would prefer that to the government deciding what care I can and can not have access to, and the time frame in which to get access.

Last edited by SayAgain; 08-07-2009 at 04:46 AM. Reason: spelling