View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 02:29 PM
forumname
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: I am the Stig

Originally Posted by Freightpuppy View Post
My fiance was based in Fresno in 2007 for Skywest but we lived in IL. He filed an IL return and paid IL income taxes. He just got a letter from CA stating that just because you don't live in CA doesn't mean you don't owe them CA state income tax. What's the best way to go about this for you guys that have had a similar situation?
It's happened at my company also. The guidance we got was this;

Check off the appropriate box on the front of the form. Then, on the back explain that he is an airline pilot for (insert company here) and flies in and out of CA, etc..

However, there may be a hang up as there's something about a 50% cutoff. If 50% of the income was earned flying in CA, it may get sticky.

My employer was able to prove to the state of CA that over 50% of the income we earned was outside the state of California. If his has done the same with the state, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I have yet to fill out and send the form back as I just got it this weekend, but from the guys I know that have say you get a letter in the mail from the state to the effect that the matter is closed and requires no further action.