View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM
jungle
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

Originally Posted by FighterHayabusa View Post
I still don't think Social Security is all that bad. It's not unsustainable because it's overly generous, or because of a wasteful bureaucracy, but simply because of a changing demographic which is impossible to predict accurately. The CBO (which is not known to do politicians any favors) says it will run for 30 more YEARS without changes. Think about it, the last major change was in '83, and it can last until 2041 - if 60 years with no changes is really horrible, then your standards are awfully high.
After that, simple accounting changes to benefits and/or tax and/or caps are all that are needed - not drastic overhauls or dumping of the entire thing. The alarmists have obvious ulterior motives, and they are not doing themselves any favors by exaggeration. Frankly there are bigger fish to fry.
Actually the changing demographic and the near vertical rise in payouts has been predicted for at least a decade. You may try to paint a rosey picture, but that was then and this is now. Recent gross reductions in revenue have caused the tipping point to arrive 14 years early.
There is no reason to exaggerate, the facts are there for anybody to see, I suspect less than 5% of us give a damn.
I have no ulterior motive, in fact I have never planned to get a dime out of this, as any good financial planner will tell you.

Remember just a few months ago THEY said the economy was just dandy!

There are bigger fish to fry, and if anyone wants this type of management in their lives, go for it, but don't go in blind. There is no free lunch and Santa Claus died a long time ago in the same accident that killed the Easter Bunny.