Old 08-12-2009, 11:53 PM
aviatorhi
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Window Seat

Originally Posted by KC10 FATboy View Post
I've flown the 1900 ... still don't know why you guys are suggesting this is a safe technique.

If you aren't using the rudder, you are either increasing your yaw to the runway and/or not killing your drift ... depending on which engine (upwind or downwind) you pull.

See my previous threads if you need more explaination.
Ever landed it on an ice surface runway (not a contaminated runway, specifically an ICE runway)? You'd understand that "drift" and "side-load" matters less than "directional control".

Also, regarding the 1900 not being a jet, my apologies, didn't notice the question was specifically asking for jets, just saw a lot of bickering back and forth with one side talking about how it works in practice and the other side saying how it doesn't work on paper.

Ever landed on a contaminated paved or gravel runway with crosswind components exceeding 40 knots?

The reason the technique is used is because it works, it's worked for decades and it will continue to work, day in and day out up here, we make due with the conditions and equipment we have.