View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 AM
ZnCrO4
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: PTC

Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Thought it was the news dude who said that it was "fairly common" while the "expert" said that it could have avoided the accident?
However, are there any small piston airplanes with TCAS? I know the G1000 has TIS, but not TCAS

There are some small piston aircraft with a TCAS like system in the sense that it does not require ground based radar contact. To the best of my knowledge the G1000 is available with both TIS (requires ground based radar contact) and TAS (a system similar to TCAS I in the sense it requires only the onboard TAS unit and at least a transponder to receive a primary target or obviously mode C onboard the other aircraft for altitude information)

Having that said, did the either of the aircraft have such systems? I can not say. Should the pilots of these aircraft have been more vigilant in this corridor than normal? Depends on your definition of normal. Would I have seen the other aircraft soon enough to make a difference? I can not say. If I had you bet your bottom dollar I would have tried with everything I have to avoid hitting the other bird.

Bottom line is that it is unfair to assume that anyone could have for sure seen the other aircraft soon enough to make a difference.
just my two cents

RIP passengers and crew