View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 07:18 AM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display
Default Cata

Originally Posted by atpwannabe View Post
I have watched the video a number of times and I'm still trying to figure out, like some of you,....given the flight path of each aircraft that, "How in God's name that they didn't see each other?"

atp
They approached each other laterally, from my perspective. Most pilots (even fighter pilots) spend the majority of their scan looking forward of the 3-9 line.

But additionally, I can still hear the words of my Aerospace Physiology instructor at Williams AFB during the classroom lectures prior to flying the mighty Tweet:

"Which airplane is the one you are going to hit? The one that doesn't move."

I had never thought of it that way before.

In fighters (at least, the courses I went through), this stationary target was called "on the CATA" (Collision-Antenna Train Angle). It meant if you were locked on to a guy and the antenna angle didn't change, he was coming straight at you.

Lastly, the human eye reacts to two major physical characteristics: contrast, and relative motion. The video seems to show relatively little relative motion, especially in the peripheral vison area.

Missiles work the same way: no motion, it's coming for you. Makes it tough to see and react to.

Very, very unfortunate accident.