Thread: How hard is it?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 07:34 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

There are jobs out there, but they also often require much higher experience levels than those to enter at a regional airline. It's a catch 22- many corporate departments don't like to hire airline guys because of some of the adjustments required in terms of job description and attitude, but many won't hire you if you don't have 3000TT, and ATP and a type rating.

Ultimately though, most of them come down to who you know and being in the right place at the right time. I've found that most decent corporate gigs will be comparable or better than an equivalent airline gig.

For example, I jumped from the CRJ (which in my mind is an entry level airliner), to a Citation Encore (which is an entry level business jet). I have a much better quality of life, doubled my pay and benefits, and am treated a lot better than I was at the airlines. I might not make as much in this job as a 777 captain (although if you break down my salary by flight hour it works out similarly since we don't fly but 200 hrs a year), but the overall package is a lot better, IMHO.