View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 04:36 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by PearlPilot View Post
I thought it was interesting when my instructor said how some students like to take a break after getting the PPL. I would most likely continue with part 61. So is it usual for people to take a break and do some cross countries prior to initiating with the IR? If so, how long of a break is considered the norm and how many of the 50 hours of cross countries do you usually have down before you jump into the training again? 2 weeks sounds like an okay break, but more than a month just seems not necessary at all. Thoughts?
Guess it would depend on what you did during that break. If you keep flying and go out and use that PPL to cement the things that you have learned then some experience before delving back into training can't be a bad thing. On the other hand - if by taking a break you mean not doing any flying for an extended amount of time then I would think that you would start to lose those so recently amassed skills and you don't want to have to relearn some of the basics during your instrument training.

USMCFLYR