View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 07:52 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by PearlPilot View Post
You bring up a very interesting point that ran across me, but I never questioned it. It has to do with the quality time that you mentioned... I wondered how experiencing different airports would enable me to gain a good amount of experience during those 50 hours. I guess it would not make a difference if I used the GPS or VOR, pilotage, dead reckoning, or all of the above. What is, in your opinion qualifies as quality time? I am looking forward to taking some passengers to $100 hamburgers and to experience nice airports.

As far as the training goes, I don't have much of a choice. This is the only FBO (within driving distance) for me and it happens to be a part 61 school only. The other part 141 school that was close to me ran out of business...So I am really leaning towards staying here...
For those who are aspiring commercial pilots, I tend to advocate taking the break and doing some GA XC flying (assuming you have a day job). It's fun and you will gain some useful PIC experience. I would use all forms of navigation except maybe save the GPS until you really need it. If you get comfortable using VOR navigation single-pilot, that will help with the IR.

I would agree with 250 that if you can REALISTICALLY get a lot of actual IMC while building XC time, it might be better to do the IR now (part 141) and then try to do some of the time building in IMC. The problem is that there are few places where you can regularly cruise around on an IFR flight plan and stay in actual the whole time. You basically need a nice consistent, benign stratus layer over the entire area, without CB, ice, turbulence, etc. Also many schools will not allow a commercial time builder to solo in IMC.

Also you can decide how much you really like flying...if it's gets boring after a few XC's then the airline path may not be for you. I know too many regional pilots who don't like the actual job, but they feel stuck because they spent all the money and everybody back home in Podunk Falls thinks they're a big airline hero.