Old 10-05-2006, 04:45 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

4600 hours TT. Started flying in January of '97. Went to school at a university program, graduated there in May 2000. Taught at a large part 61/141 school outside of Washington DC the summer of 2000, interned with Atlantic Coast Airlines in the fall of 2000, and was hired as a line pilot December of 2000. Flew the CRJ for ACA until it became independence air in June of 2004, then flew the CRJ under independence colors until I was furloughed in May of 2005. (The company went under January of 06.) Collected unemployment for a few months, then started flying a corporate jet (Citation Encore) for a large equipment manufacturer.

Paid for flying and school with student loans (about $35K) and through tuition/loan reimbursement programs available by joining the National Guard (Army enlisted for 9 years in the guard). The guard covered through reimbursement about $50K in loans and other tuition/books costs through various state and federal programs. The only time that money was really tight was when I was an intern (unpaid, supplemented by flight instructing part time), and when I was in training as a new hire FO ($200/week), all while living in the Washington DC area.

Here's the timeline that my career has taken:

January 97: First flight/start private pilot training
February 97: First solo
May 97: Private pilot certificate earned
June 97 - October 97: National Guard training (no flying)

January 98: Start instrument training
July 98: Start commercial training
September 98: Start multiengine training

January 99: Commercial/Instrument/Multi-engine certificate(s) earned
February 99: Start CFI training

January 00: CFI certificate earned
January 00: Start CFII training
May 00: CFII certificate earned
May 00: Bachelors Degree completed (BS in Aeronautics/Commercial Aviation)
June 00: First full time flying job (Flight instructing)
August 00: Start airline internship
December 00: First full time airline flying job (CRJ FO)

January 03: Awarded captain (Jetstream 41- never trained/withheld by company @ captains pay)
November 03: Displaced back to FO status (CRJ FO)

May 05: Furloughed from independence air
June 05: CRJ type rating earned
August 05: Hired as part 91 corporate pilot (Current employer)
September 05: Citation 500 type rating earned

Last edited by FlyerJosh; 10-05-2006 at 04:57 PM.