View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 05:09 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
I teach what to do based on the prevailing circumstances and try to get the student to think about the entire issue, not just memorize a procedure but actually think about the fact you can lose your engine anytime and anywhere when you are flying an airplane.
I absolutely agree that there is not one answer for every situation. In my community we like to answer any question we don't know the answer too with "it depends on the tactical situation"

Landing on a busy highway is usually fairly low in the matrix of options, but if you have rocks and water on all sides, then maybe it's worth a try. In day VFR it's best to land in a field beside the highway, if there is one, because there are power lines and cars on the road itself. If the highway is one that is not very busy and it looks to be clear of power lines as some rural divided highways do, then go ahead and have that.
I had a situation once on my pre-solo checkride where I was faced with that decision (simulated thank goodness). I was flying out of Corpus Christi, TX down over the King Ranch area and my IP gave me a Low Altitude Power Loss (LAPL) and I was right next to a long, long, long stretch of deserted highway. I turned to set up myself for the approach to the road. My IP obviously wanted me to go with one of the fields to the east. We knocked it off and set it up again with me this time picking out an open field and completing the approach.

After the flight he told me that he still had reservations about my initial move to the road on the LAPL. I told him that if he passed me and I soloed the next day and had a power loss in the same situation that he should come looking for me on the road (in a respectful manner of course!) Luckily for me - he passed me and I had an uneventful solo the next day. Ah the memories of Primary Flight Training..........

Thanks for the input Cub.
Spot on as usual.

USMCFLYR