View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 AM
Whistlin' Dan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by jetgo166 View Post
Obviously you know nothing of the IBT or the RLA or how things are done during labor actions.
I guess I'm one of those guys who doesn't know very much about them either, especially how the IBT Airline Division runs a "labor action."

In the event that the IBT does call a strike, I assume that the company would be permitted to hire replacement workers. APC shows that you have 57 pilots, or about 19 crews. Are those numbers accurate?

Any idea how many 727-qualified, out-of-work or "retired" over-60 pilots and F/E's there are in the Miami area? Nationwide?

Is there anything to prevent the company from subcontracting work out to other carriers while new-hires are being trained?

Are there any other unions performing essential functions at AJT who will support you if you strike?

I realize that you have to keep the option of a strike open while you're in negotiations, but where do you, personally, feel you can exert more influence upon management...with your hands on "The Money Levers" or carrying a sign while walking a picket line across the street? (Let's assume for the sake of discussion that AJT management is reading every word of your response, because they probably are)

In any union action, it's always the guys at the bottom of the food chain who face the biggest obstacles in securing a fair contract. I wish you all the best in doing so.