View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Ian B
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by wmuflyboy View Post
first things first, i have not been an instructor for 2 years.

if you look in the FARs though it states under 61.195(H)(2):

Except for an instructor who meets the requirements of paragraph (h)(3)(ii) of this section, a flight instructor who provides training to an initial applicant for a flight instructor certificate must—
(i) Meet the eligibility requirements prescribed in §61.183 of this part;
(ii) Hold the appropriate flight instructor certificate and rating;
(iii) Have held a flight instructor certificate for at least 24 months;
(iv) For training in preparation for an airplane, rotorcraft, or powered-lift rating, have given at least 200 hours of flight training as a flight instructor; and
(v) For training in preparation for a glider rating, have given at least 80 hours of flight training as a flight instructor.

61.195(h)(3)(ii) states:

(ii) Have trained and endorsed at least five applicants for a practical test for a pilot certificate, flight instructor certificate, ground instructor certificate, or an additional rating, and at least 80 percent of those applicants passed that test on their first attempt; and

now i have a 100% student pass rate for more than 10 applicants, does this negate the 2 year rule and allow me to teach an initial CFI applicant. the general consensus has been you need to be a 2 year CFI and log 200 dual given. but when i look into the FARs, this seems not to be the case. am i missing something??
Twin Wasp has it right, there is no loophole! You're guilty of "selective reading" - what about 61.195 (h)(3) which is a prerequisite to even consider 61.195 (h)(3)(ii)...

Part 61.195 (h) (3) (not JUST part (ii)) - you have to comply with ALL of it states:
"(3) A flight instructor who serves as a flight instructor in an FAA-approved course for the issuance of a flight instructor rating must hold a current flight instructor certificate with the appropriate rating and pass the required initial and recurrent flight instructor proficiency tests, in accordance with the requirements of the part under which the FAA-approved course is conducted, and must--
(i) Meet the requirements of paragraph (h)(2) of this section; or
(ii) Have trained and endorsed at least five applicants for a practical test for a pilot certificate, flight instructor certificate, ground instructor certificate, or an additional rating, and at least 80 percent of those applicants passed that test on their first attempt; and......"
Note: IN AN FAA APPROVED COURSE - IE Part 141 school!
Unless you work in a Part 141 school 2 years CFI experience is required, If you do work in a Pt 141 school you may meet EITHER the requirements of 61.195(h)(2) OR 61.195(h)(3)(ii)

(7 year Part 141 instructor, 2 as Asst Chief Instructor, 2,600 hrs CFI time)

Last edited by Ian B; 08-26-2009 at 07:20 PM.