View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 01:52 AM
73inEurope4now
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: B737 FO
Default The Europan experience....

Ever wonder what it would be like to fly in Europe, well.... this is my perspective!

I got furloughed from my company in the US and decided to jump all in and get my JAA ATPL and a 737 type. I took me 6 months to accomplish the task, afterwards I was offered a job in Scandinavia.

Upon arrival, my first experience was their government! I was astounded by the enormous amount of bureaucrats they need over there! 1 in every 3 persons living in Norway works for the government! It was astonishing to witness the mundane mountains of paperwork it took to process even the smallest request. I used to think it was bad at home, but this has given me a completely different perspective and a new appreciation for the US.
Most things are poorly organized over there as well, everything from a simple thing like getting a phoneline set up to dealing with the tax authorities is dim-witted, (and yes....much more so than the IRS, whom in comparison seems like a fantastic organization).
And... the cost of living... is staggering!! Gasoline is $9.00/gallon, a beer in a bar is $12.00 a pint, 38 percent of my salary goes to the government and I am paying $2000 in rent for a small basic apartment! I am making a gross salary of $100 000, which compares to making approx. $35 000 in the US after considering taxes and cost of living.
The climate is dreary and gray, which is reflected in the local populations attitude in general. Everyone complains (but takes no action) about the poor health care system, the substandard schools, high cost of living and preposterous taxes.

To wrap it up! The company is allright and the flying is tolerable. But I can't wait to go home again!