View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 07:35 AM
runge
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2009

It definitely seems like a complicated logistical problem. My girlfriend and I had a hard enough time finding a place where we could both get good jobs and have somewhere good to live. Now, throwing in an AFB where I can get posted into the equation, plus the eventuality that I'll really need to be there for more than 10 years, humph.

Well, at least I've got plenty of time to think about it. I do think that it would be worth it to me, if I can get a good posting and hopefully end up flying. And while I can daydream vipers all day long, truth be told I think it'd be an amazing and wholly worthwhile experience to do any type of military aviation, regardless of the aircraft.

After UPT, does the Air Force basically decide where a reservist pilot lives? E.g. right now I'm within driving distance of a few different AFB's that operate everything from C-130's to A-10's to F-16's. But, I guess I don't get to decide what plane I end up flying. What happens if they end up putting me in a plane that isn't based anywhere near where I live? I guess I have to move and try to get my civilian career going there? Either that or deal with a back-breaking commute...

How much say do you have in what aircraft you fly and where you get based out of? Very little? Or, say I'm in Atlanta right now, can I go to UPT and then wait around for a squadron opening within driving distance of Atlanta? Or are they going to say "go here do this" and it's up to me to make it work somehow?