View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 PM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Originally Posted by runge View Post
Heh, wow. That's quite a disparity of experiences.

How about people pursuing a civilian job outside of airlines? Anybody?

I would think intuitively that you'd be less desirable to the typical employer. All that ANG means to them is that you're going to be away from work a lot. But what if you work in an Aerospace or Engineering field? I can see how in some ways it would be beneficial for an employee to have actual flight experience, but I'm sure the employer would rather not have that flight experience take place during time that the employee might otherwise be getting **** done....
I got two degrees in aerospace engineering. I was given no special consideration just because I was an operator while perusing the engineering jobs. This is mostly due to being entry-level. Lockmart will hire you, but you won't get the job just because you're a flyer. At the upper echelons however, one's affiliations on the operator world will be the very implicit prerequisite to get that level of a contractor job in the first place. At the engineering "levels" world though, you're just another number cruncher with skosh availability, Lockmart will expect you to serve your country outside the hours of 9-5.

As for academia, like I posted before, they said they were "very Reserve friendly" but when I inquired about being given availability to perform weekly duty at the unit while not teaching class or during student counseling hours I was flatly told "h#ll naw, we need you here 5 days a week". Turns out my "part-time" job pays me more than their full time job, so I told them they could keep their "mil friendly" gig. So that was that.

Good luck