Old 09-01-2009, 04:55 PM
flyingchicken
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by Kasserine06 View Post
Even if the forecast was only for a 40 knot crosswind, that should be enough to cancel the flight.
Really? No one would fly in the North Pacific in the winter then.

Unfortunately, there is another flaw with this hypothetical situation.
Who said its hypothetical? Everything minus the flaming dogdoo is personal experience, and is not a rare occurrence over the Aleutians. Now would you mind canning the condescending tone?

I cannot think of any situation where all the airports in your vicinity only have runways oriented in a way where they all have 60 knot crosswinds.
Did you actually read what I had written? It tells you the exact routing and diversion airports I had in mind.

If you want to add to this scenario that it is mountainous terrain and there is no place to land but a single runway with a 60 knot crosswind
Mountains or the frozen Pacific with 50 foot swells. Take your pick.

Originally Posted by shdw View Post
Anyone know the name of that flight off the top of your head, I can't remember but recall discussing it. It was an impeccable demonstration of CRM and a use of completely non standard procedures for a completely non standard event.
It has actually happened twice. A United DC-10 over Sioux City, and a DHL A-300 over Baghdad.