View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 PM
WorldTraveler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by PILOTFAN View Post
Hello everyone, My name is Jerome Vorus and I am a Aviation Journalist. I am writing a story on Flight Crews and Swine Flu.

Question:
Are Flight Crew more susceptible to the Swine flu? What are Airlines doing to lower the risk of infection for passengers and crews?

Thanks
Jerome, I see on your linkedin page you are a university student operating your own aviation website. Is that where this story will appear?

To answer your questions: airlines are complying with the requirements of various health organizations.

As to whether flight crews are at higher risk, you'd have to ask a medical professional. my guess is that pilots do not typically interface with the public so much so their risk is not as high as Flight Attendants and customer service reps.

I have noticed that worldwide, the level of inspection for swine flu has dropped dramatically since the spring. Back then,, passengers and crew on international flights were quarantined on the airplane until each passenger was inspected by public health staff.

Today, we fill out a simple medical form and are waived through immigration without a second glance.

Word is that public health officials have stopped trying to stop the spread of the flu which has proven to be impossible and now are resigned to just letting it run its course.