View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 07:04 PM
kansas
Swearing at the FMA

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: MD-88 FO

Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I guess I am trying to look long term. What route will get me to where I want to be the fastest.

Anyone who went into a regional with low time and would have instructed longer if they were able to do it again?
First off, I did get hired at a regional with low time. However, I haven't been here too long. I'll let you know in 4 years whether or not I was happy with my decision ...It all depends on where this experience leads me. Right now, I love my job much more than instructing, love the people I work with, and am glad that I'm making more money than I did as an instructor. I'm also very happy with the kind of experience that I'm building.

If "where you want to be" is a major 121 carrier, then the fastest route is going to be a short-upgrade, most likely turboprop, regional...unless you get in on the ground level with a company like SkyWest that is growing by leaps and bounds, shortening the upgrade time...but that's beside the point.

I think this comes down to your current life situation. If you can handle the pay and lifestyle change right now, I don't see any reason why not to go for a place like BigSky, etc...However, location, as Rickair pointed out, location should be a factor as well. If you can't handle the pay and lifestyle right now, keep building your time to apply to the companies that will allow you to continue to enjoy your life in its current state.
Originally Posted by LAfrequentflyer View Post
Pip,

Why delay the inevitable?

-LAFF
I agree, for the most part. If you're trying for the airlines, you might as well get there and get started, now. However, as stated above, it might not be wise to make your life totally miserable for 4 years at a place you don't enjoy if your lifestyle can't handle it...

Build the most and best experience as quickly as possible. Get hired as quickly as possible, to avoid missing the hiring altogether, or getting furloughed. Good luck.