Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 AM
FlyJSH
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by aeromike49 View Post
Problem has been that you need an airplane to actually fly in to airports to look for a job. If you are driving in - can't even get into the airport to talk to anyone as all the gates are locked, FBO - forget talking to some desk clerk and leaving a resume. Fly a plane in - or network - every job on a job board seems to have thousands of applicants - qualified or not - the chances of actually having someone look at your application - next to zero - good luck -
Wrong, Wrong, WRONG! Going to each and every FBO. Politely and quietly wait until everyone else has been served, THEN go to talk to the girl behind the counter (maybe while you are waiting, get her a cup of coffee).

As for hangers, I used to go to each one and pass out resumes, but now-a-days, wandering around them is frowned upon. Get as many company names as you can from the hanger doors, look up the addresses, and write time.

Originally Posted by 100LL View Post
How could this benefit a low time pilot i.e less than 500 or 1000 hrs. With no one hiring, no one is moving on. There is a giant supply of pilots with tons of experience and they are just back logging all of us less experienced guys. Of course they are more competitive than us low timers which leaves us in the dirt.

There are always people hiring, but they may be few and far between. It just means you need to beat the bushes more.

And there have always been a giant supply of pilots with tons of experience. It is up to YOU to get ahead. There are thousands of great High School quarterbacks, and hundreds of great College QBs, but only 32 NFL starting QBs. The difference is the hard work and dedication.

Or just give up, because if you do, there will be one more job for me.