View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 07:34 AM
BdubNYC
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Bachelors Degree

This is all useful information, thank you guys. I am not against the notion of getting my ratings at a FBO. However, like I said - I will need to get a loan to pay for my ratings. I have until May to finish my Bachelors degree, but saving while in college as you know is pretty impossible. Luckily, I have been blessed and my parents have paid for my entire undergraduate eduction so I won't have college loans on top of flight loans. I just don't or will not have the funds available up front to pay for my flight training - thus the need for a loan. I guess I can just get a loan from the bank? I figured getting approved would be easier if it was a school loan (ie; Aviation Academy). Now, in the infinite greatness of parents - they have agreed to co-sign, as I am quite unsure a 25 year old could obtain a $30-40,000 loan, which help a great deal.

Some other concerns I have that RickAir has brought to my attention is the minimum flight hours for an FO that will be imposed by Congress. I think this is a fair move - I just wish they would also impose a minimum starting pay that is relative to the amount of training we go through. $50,000 sounds nice to start out. Considering I won't even start my training until July - it's imperative that where I go; I get going right away. It's going to take a while to get 1500 hours of MEI in. That's another thing that I liked about the fast track programs, although you guys make a good point regarding that option at an FBO.

Luckily, I do have some time while I finish my Bachelors degree to figure this out. Thanks again for all of this useful info.