View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Sink r8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Originally Posted by newKnow View Post
I'm sure this post will spark some spirited debate, which IMO will be great. So my questions are, how is it that we as pilots can expect any goodwill from the community and press, when we can't even support our own fellow union brothers and sisters? Why are a lot of us so anti-union when it comes to other people professions? It doesn't make sense to march in a parade when you don't respect the people you are marching with.
I think your question is flawed. Taking a neutral stance on AFA (as opposed to actually lobbying against it, which is not approriate) is not failing to respect anyone, nor is it being "anti-union".

I've been down the road of supporting those of our F/A's that wanted a union before, to no avail. For a variety of reasons, I'm done. I'm content to let them choose, but I don't believe there is any benefit to my group in supporting them. Let them decide their own destiny. It's not my job to influence them one way or another.

Further, riddle me this: how does AFA explain crossing the picket lines when the NW mechanics were on strike? How does an airline run through a strike without mechanics without complicit pilots being rather... deliberate with the logbook write-ups?

So I think we should simply agree the line not to be stopped is ...a picket line. Beyond that, other people do what they want, and organized if and how they want.