View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 12:15 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by KC10 FATboy View Post
This really scares me that this error can have such dire consequences and as such, is crosschecked, triple crosschecked before proceding for takeoff. I'm surprised Emirates doesn't have a procedure to crosscheck the N1 setting during the takeofr roll.

As others have said, reduced power takeoffs are always used, unless maximum power the engines. Indirectly, they are used because they are safer. You are at a higher risk of having an engine failure at a higher thrust setting.

The industry is slowly changing the language surrounding these types of takeoffs. Imagine explaining to a lawyer that you were using a reduced power takeoff and you crashed into an obstacle or hit something on departure. That will go over like a fart in church.

Instead of using the words reduced power, those words are being replaced by the words alternate takeoff power. A full power rated takeoff is becoming a normal power takeoff. A bleeds off full power takeoff is becoming a Maximum Power Takeoff. You gotta love lawyers.
I can not agree that a reduced power takeoff is safer. The advantage of full power that might make a greater difference in a variety of situations vice a small chance of engine failure on take-off would seem to be playing the wroing side of the cards and ORM. I'm sure there are many differences in operating transport category aircraft than any others - but saying that you have a higher risk of engine failure at full thrust would then be a reason to apply this technique across all T/M/S of aircraft.

USMCFLYR