View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 10:42 PM
calcapt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737 Captain

Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post

In order to "force" businesses to accept that everyone was equal preferential hiring was established......

Let me get this straight. Everyone is equal so we are forcing you to hire one individual over another to make things equal. What a crock of BS!

Personally, i think it should be setup that the most qualified individual should get the job, always.
I couldn't agree more!

the college enviornment has to be made accesible (its pretty expensive as we all know)

College is expensive for everyone. It took years to pay off my student loans. Open a phone book and there are tens of thousands of colleges, community colleges and trade schools throughout this country. Effort is what is required, not excuses. I doubt that if anyone seriously wanted to go to school, he or she would be denied due to economic conditions. There are many social programs to address these situations as we all know. The truth is, it is easier for many to come up with excuses why they don't have the opportunity to go to college than it is to get their a$$ out of bed and go.

Some say that as a business i should be able to hire whoever i want, and if i don't want any minorities, then i shouldn't have to hire them, if i didn't want any white men, then i shouldn't have to hire them either, etc. Well, that might be your right, but as history has stated time and time again, your rights don't mean much once they step on someone else's rights.

Well no $hit. That's why it's called MY business. If I have a business that sells womens lingerie, should I be required to hire a male Mexican (or fill in the blank) construction worker to work there over an attractive female sales professional that understands the special needs and uniqueness of my product? What kind of logic is that? On the flip side, If I were building a road, I would probably pass on the lady and hire the construction worker, as is my prerogative. If you don't like the way I run my business, start your own f-ing business, as is your right. You have no guaranteed rights to work for me anymore than I have a guaranteed right to be a captain for British Airways.

Contrary to what you or others may choose to believe, I have no issues with any minority or gender in the workplace so long as they are competent to do the job. I get very annoyed though when bull$hit is spread about "rights" and who is owed what. Equal is equal and anything else is NOT equal. I have flown with several non-white and non-male first officers that have overcome almost insurmountable odds to get to a major airline job. They weren't handed anything and they didn't ask or expect it. It discredits their incredible drive, determination and accomplishment to suggest that minorities cannot achieve something because of some perceived lack of opportunity. If equal opportunity is the goal, then lets be equal in all respects!