Thread: PBS Frontline
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 08:18 AM
BeenThere
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
I don't think it's accurate to say there is a "quality" difference between seat 23B in a 737 and seat 6C on an RJ. Both are miserable experiences. In fact when I non-rev I seek out RJs unless there is a chance to get upgraded to first, boarding/deplaning is so much faster.

The issue isn't that "Passengers often ride RJ's and turbo-props" as you brought up, its that those planes are operated by the lowest bidders who then have to corners across the board (which you also brought up). RJs and TPs being flown by mainline pilots at respectable rates would be fantastic.

I doubt we disagree, I'm just responding to how I interpreted your post.
From my perspective there is a huge quality advantage to an airliner with multiple lavatories and flight attendants, room for everyone's luggage, isn't usually at min fuel status the moment it leaves the gate, and that you don't have to walk outside to board. I agree that individual seat comfort & pitch varies widely--death row inmates have more space than most coach passengers. And yes, they should be maintained, dispatched and flown by mainline carriers who have the resources to do it right.