View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 03:41 PM
tsquare
No longer cares

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 767er Captain

Originally Posted by forgot to bid View Post
Tsquare, I understand what you're saying but like KC10 says there are probably people that make decisions based on airport facilities. Pre-Delta employee days I made ticket purchases based on price and then if that was equal aircraft. If it came between a DCI CRJ-200 and AirTran 717, I picked the 717 because it was more comfortable and both airlines were just regionals with a propensity to be late. But if it was Delta vs AirTran then Delta, they'd be more likely to be on time. That was just me and I'm sure we could go threw a laundry list of things you make a decision on. I think once I heard people would chose a connection flight over a direct if the connection was $2 cheaper. To each his own.

But it was just an observation and like you Tsquare I didn't like seeing it and I get ****ed when Clark Howard and company redicule Delta. But then again I can picture what this particular guy was seeing and it was probably a rundown LGA terminal, hot, understaffed and over crowded and no matter what we offer in airplanes and flight crews can overcome that experience. And if they leave guess what, they'll get to go experience a crappy terminal where AirTran is too, so they're stuck with us but thats not a good way to look at it.

I think it underscores that if someone goes to Delta.com to buy a ticket everything they experience thereafter is to them a reflection of Delta Air Lines and I trust the smart people at Delta know it and are doing something about it. I'm excited about the new terminal even though I've never seen it because USAir always seems to have a nice terminal. I hope the DTW and CVG terminals become the norm for Delta in the years and years to come, next up LGA, JFK, ATL, MEM and I guess LAX.

Hell when it comes to JFK I wish they could build a big spacious facility on top of the current terminal, kind of like a glass dome or something and then you just go down an escalator to get to the current jetways and then board... that was my bright idea but an architect budy of mine shot it down pretty quickly. Oh well.

I also think that perception battle is another good reason to reign in scope on the bottom AND top end too. If DCI sucks or a codeshare partner sucks they'll make us look bad and if anyone is going to make us look bad it should be us. Everything comes back to scope.
I agree with most of your post.. particularly the part about the punk Clark Howard. My wife loves listening to him. I want to run over him in my truck.