View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 PM
gsphuntr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Reverse cowgirl
Default Leave this to be a Cop?

Alright, I've been an FO for over three years at one of the "preffered" regionals after doin a year for the devil at Mesa...Here I am 4 years into the airline game 5,000+ hours, no upgrade in sight, im pulling in just a hair over 40k a year, I waste 6+ hours of my life a week commuting (no choice, my wife has the better job), and there seems to be no improvement in sight in this industry...100 seat airplanes expanding and being flown for peanuts, morale in the gutter, national carriers being bought out by regionals, etc....etc...

So I decided to look into different "guvmint" jobs and came across positions for Police cadets in my city...hmmm. Looked into the requirements, salary, benies etc...

Bottom line - Starting salary out of training is in the mid 50s, mid 60s year two, pushing 80s into your 4th year and topping out in the low 100s depending on education level, rank, hours, overtime, etc...To boot you have a pretty nice pension after 23 years of service, solid benefits and work 4 days a week. After two years on the streets you can move on to other areas in the department to include aviation.

I guess my question is for any of you out there who have served for a large police department - Did you/ Do you enjoy it? Is it a fun, rewarding job? Would you leave this gutter of an airline world to pursue law enforcement?