View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Foxy
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: E-175 FO

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Good post Fox and you make it seem very clear - thanks.
Question though - - I'm use to signing for an airplane...
Back when I was flying GA - I thought I remembered signing for the aircraft too from the flight school. Is this not common?
I have not seen that practice as a common way of delimiting responsibility, but others may have experiences that more closely parallel yours. It's certainly not any sort of requirement of which I am aware.

So if the safety pilot wanted to log that time as PIC then he would need to be the one to sign the plane out. Correct?
As far as insurance is concerned, such might be the case. In the 'private sector', that's referred to as 'renting the airplane'. ;> And again, it's a club-specific or insurance-specific requirement. Take a safety pilot who isn't a member of the flying club or FBO.. Can he log PIC? Of course. Will that be in violation of the club's guidelines? Could be.

There's no clear answer on that, because there's no clear issue. Generally, you assume Pilot In Command responsibility by saying, "I'm the pilot in command," or being told, "You're the pilot in command." .. and taking the authority and responsibility that such designation confers.

As you say above, it's not as black and white, when it comes to paperwork.. but when it comes to acting as PIC, it IS black and white.

Right? :>

-Fox