Old 09-24-2009, 09:19 PM
JungleBus
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: B737 CA

Originally Posted by onetogo View Post
I completely agree. I am at one of these schools as well, and have been appalled by the poor quality of flight training here. They think that the "name" makes the pilots who they are, and it simply is not so. Pilot's out of the local FBO back home are much better quality. We have been hearing the faculty preaching non-stop about how terrible the ATP requirement would be, and if it were to be implemented, how we would need the loophole. Unfortunately, they have most of the students hooked on that. But, most of the students are pretty dumb here. I fully support the bill, fully support requiring the ATP, and say NO LOOPHOLE. Hopefully it will do away with these no motivation college types who go straight into the RJ without ever flying anything other than the University's airplanes. Faculty says the ATP doesn't mean better pilot. To that, I say 1. BS. 2. The type of people that will get the non 121 jobs and stick with it long enough to get the ATP will be the kind's of people 121 needs. Not these people who can go to school for 4 years, fly every hour of the 200 hours they fly in a school airplane out of the same airport every time, and end up in a jet. Sad thing is, I am so outnumbed, and the faculty is so convinced against me, that I cannot even argue my side. I attempted today infront of one prof. and he nearly took my head off. I realize that they are already convinced and no argument will change their mind. I think they are fighting so hard because if the loophole isn't put through, their jobs will essentially be lost, flight program gone. I don't think they are deciding based on aviation as a whole, but rather just trying to keep their collegiate aviation program's going. Ugh. I can't wait to get out of here...
Not sure where you're going, I went to UND and have a similar opinion of their faculty. Very myopic, very "we're the best and the rest can't compare." I did my PPL Part 61 but got college credit for it and transferred in, stage check pilots made snide remarks about being a Part 61 guy for the first three or four stage checks. Very structured environment where the supervisor of flight determined whether you flew rather than make tough decisions yourself. Instructed there and got reprimanded for not charging for enough pre- and post-flight time. Did most of my instructing part 61 in SoCal and was much happier.

The collegiate programs produce pilots with a really good knowledge base. The problem is that they convince their pilots that they're the only ones with that knowledge base, and that their knowledge is a substitute of experience. You saw their flunky arguing the exact same thing in the hearing today (BTW, the hearing video is a worthwhile view).