View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 03:33 PM
ToiletDuck
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by mike734 View Post
The problem with spinning a large aircraft is centrifugal force. The farther a piece of the airframe is from the center of rotation, the larger the forces on that piece. If the cockpit is 20 feet from the center of rotation, the forces on the pilots would be extreme and could make it impossible to move, let alone control the airplane. The forces on the engine pylons and tail would similarly be extreme. If a large aircraft like a 747 got in to a spin I believe it would tear itself apart.

If anyone has a video of a large aircraft recovering from a long multiple rotation spin, (not just an entry) I'd love to see it.
That is assuming the rotation of the spin would be very fast. I don't think the issue is with the rate of spin as much as it is with the excessive force on the vertical stabalizer and the angle of attach the air would strike the sweep of the wing at on the horizontal level. The length of the body blocking the air along with the wind hitting the wing at an angle might make some sort of issue. But this is all pointless chatter anyway they don't do it.