View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 AM
wrxpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by Mustang87 View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if there are any pilots on these boards that actually enjoy their career.
I do! I fly corporate, and I have a pretty sweet job that I enjoy. I'm also a (young) career changer, and do not EVER want to go back to the cubicle.

Lots of pilot ***** and complain, but a lot of times there complaints are their own doing... Things such as high debt, commuting (though unavoidable in some cases), etc. Also, a lot of airline pilots don't seem to grasp the reality of what it's like outside of aviation. They believe everybody works 9-5 with a two hour lunch, 4-5 days/wk, 6 weeks vacation, making $150k/yr, perfect stability, and lots of respect. That simply isn't true.

If one wants to get into this career, they need to be smart about it from the start. Some tips:

1)Do not go into debt to be a pilot. This will require taking your time and sacrificing a lot as you do your training, but is very worth it. Your first several pilot jobs will likely pay $30k or less, so you cannot afford to be paying loans. A lot of the guys you hear *****ing and complaining screwed up and have a huge debt load... I'm sure I'd be miserable in that situation too.

2)Get a degree in something useful. Like rikair7777 said, your indulgence is pilot training. When (not if) aviation falls on hard times during your career, you NEED to have a degree in something useful that is outside of aviation. The majors rikair listed are good ones, I'd also include nursing or some other health care degree in that list.

3)Be very flexible with your goals as a pilot. Saying you only want to be an "airline pilot" can set you up for failure and disappointment. You never know where this career can take you, and you have to be willing to walk through whatever doors open for you as you gain experience. Airline, freight, charter, corporate, air ambulance, etc... You never know what will be best for you, so keep an open mind.

4)Be willing to pay your dues. Some guys have a HUGE chip on their shoulder since they have to fly as a first officer for a few years, or have to flight instruct for a year or two. That's just how it goes in aviation, so be prepared.

5)Be prepared to be somewhat selfish. You have to be flexible enough to move around the country and maybe even the world as you start out. So you may very well lose your girlfriend, have to move away from your friends and family, etc. You have to do what's best for your career, at least the first few years.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.