View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 10:25 AM
NoyGonnaDoIt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Yes, I was talking about the parachute requirement. That exemption is what allows CFI's to spin common training airplanes. Our FSDO did not want us spinning all comers, they asked that we only do those folks who were working on, or intended to acquire, a CFI rating (wink, wink). The headquarters interpretation appears even more lenient.
It's actually a pretty common view that the 91.307 exception from parachutes for

==============================
(2) Spins and other flight maneuvers required by the regulations for any certificate or rating when given by -
(i) A certificated flight instructor; or
(ii) An airline transport pilot instructing in accordance with § 61.67 of this chapter.

means

(2) Spins and other flight maneuvers required by the regulations for any certificate or rating when given by -
(i) A certificated flight instructor; or
(ii) An airline transport pilot instructing in accordance with § 61.67 of this chapter.
but only while going for or planning to go for that certificate or rating

but it doesn't.

Btw, you can find a more current statement of the same policy in AC 61-67C

Because spin entry, spins, and spin recovery are required for a flight instructor certificate or rating, a person receiving instruction from a CFI (or an ATP instructing in accordance with section 61.167) need not wear an approved parachute while instruction is being provided in these maneuvers. This provision applies regardless of the certificate or rating for which the person is receiving training and also if the person is receiving instruction that is not being provided for the purpose of obtaining any additional certificate or rating. The instructor providing the training is also not required to wear an approved parachute while providing this flight training. (my emphasis)