View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
paladin
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Over 60 and Still Living the Dream

Originally Posted by TPROP4ever View Post
Paladin....ah never mind, nice job deflecting blame though, you should have been a politician... The "Greatest Generation" lived through the Depression, and lived within their means . It was their children (The Baby Boomers ) that invented extreme consumerism, because we have to outdo the Johnsons. Your generation believes they are entitled to SS, a huge pension, a 401K and to raise the retirment age for my generation, because you want a little more. We should have all retired by 60 (My gen also) and enjoyed life, unfortunatly, what you needed to be happy, wasnt enough it couldnt be achieved without working longer, and now thanks to you freely working longer, I have to work till 67, and the next generation will probably have the accepted retirment age raised on them too. Sooner or later people will just have to work till they are in teh grave, and it was the Baby Boomers Greed that started us down that slippery slope. We will never see Eye to Eye on this issue...2012 cant come soon enough...
I see you deleted your post quoting an editorial written by Brendan O"Neil who began his journalistic career writing for a magazine whose claim to fame is that it was a journal of the Revolutionary Communist Party. I'll give you credit for having second thoughts about using a piece that was authored by and referenced old hippies who have become counter-culture intellectuals and who are suffering from a moral hangover and feeling guilty about all the acid trips they took during the 60"s. But c'mon, to lay blame on an entire generation that spans almost 20 years for all of the ills of the country...that is a bit stretch, and painting with a rather large brush; don't you think?

While it is true the "Greatest Generation" has many heroes and for the most part lived within their means, but never-the-less the social policies that many rammed through congress has led the country down the road to serfdom. Deflecting blame...I don't think so; it is laying blame where it squarely belongs.