View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 05:58 PM
TPROP4ever
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: none ya...

Originally Posted by paladin View Post
I see you deleted your post quoting an editorial written by Brendan O"Neil who began his journalistic career writing for a magazine whose claim to fame is that it was a journal of the Revolutionary Communist Party. I'll give you credit for having second thoughts about using a piece that was authored by and referenced old hippies who have become counter-culture intellectuals and who are suffering from a moral hangover and feeling guilty about all the acid trips they took during the 60"s. But c'mon, to lay blame on an entire generation that spans almost 20 years for all of the ills of the country...that is a bit stretch, and painting with a rather large brush; don't you think?

While it is true the "Greatest Generation" has many heroes and for the most part lived within their means, but never-the-less the social policies that many rammed through congress has led the country down the road to serfdom. Deflecting blame...I don't think so; it is laying blame where it squarely belongs.
I felt better just expressing my opinion, thank you very much.
This quote from another reporter I think sums up the frustration of my generation, and is exactly how I feel. Pay particular attention to the underligned passages, they are very true ......

"As we're all aware, the baby boom is now shuffling rapidly towards retirement, while subsequent generations have neither the numbers, nor the earning capacity, to maintain their parents and grandparents in the lifestyles to which they've become accustomed. Unable to afford their own homes, burdened with student loans, and trapped in a low wage/low growth economy, they just won't pay enough tax to fund the future.

Meanwhile, boomers have the electoral heft through sheer numbers to push for gold-plated pension policies at the expense of looking after the families currently toiling to produce the next wave of taxpayers.

Having enjoyed free tertiary education and artificially buoyant employment in their own youth, they not only hauled up the ladder after them, they're now skewing the remaining privileges their way too."

Last edited by TPROP4ever; 09-27-2009 at 06:41 PM.