View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 01:13 PM
mswmsw
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by jbravo65 View Post
...........Handling the shootings, stabbings, rapes and robberies was the fun part. Its the second guessing, back stabbing and ass kissing that I got a little tired of......

For those of you considering a switch to a law enforcement career, read and think about the above quote/excerpt by jbravo65. If you read that, and thought "wow, he thought handling the shootings, stabbings, rapes and robberies was the fun part...... what is he, nuts or something?" ..... then run, don't walk, away from police work as a choice of a career. You gotta have the kind of personality that will find handling those sorts of things fun, entertaining and exciting. If not, forget LE as a career. He is also right "on the money" with his other comment. I was just lucky to go 30+ years in assignments and working with people where the "second guessing, back stabbing and ass kissing" was sufficiently minimal, that, while still a pain in the ass, it was manageable and not bad enough to cause me to want to leave the Dept. But, I saw plenty of it, just was able to keep my distance from most of it. (One of the benefits of being on a BIG Dept!) And now, with 32 years on my present Dept and almost 35 years total as a cop, I am in a position to leave (retire) whenever I want to........ which will probably be in the not-too-distant future!!