Thread: SMS Program
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Plane5150
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Excel,

I just finished our department's SMS manual this past week. We have two airplanes, 3 pilots, and a mechanic. Spend at least a couple weeks researching SMS to ensure you have an idea of the road ahead before you begin.

I recommend starting with the SMS eLearning course developed by IBAC and Flight Safety ($300). Additionally, we purchased the SMS tool kit through NBAA ($650 for members, $1250 for non members). The tool kit consists of a 50 page booklet and a CD with sample forms, templates, and other useful info. NBAA has an SMS manual broken down into sections that you can view and edit custom to your operation. There are also some SMS manuals for departments that you can find online and look through as a reference.

It is not a quick process and should involve EVERYONE in your department. From your CEO/President down to the janitor. Sounds like you have a small operation, as do we, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Initially I thought it was an impossible undertaking but in the end it wasn't too bad.

We haven't had an auditor view the manual yet so I am sure there is still room for improvement. When the time comes I'll post more info here.

Hope this helps for a start. Post here or PM me if I can be of any further assistance.