View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Great Cornholio
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

Originally Posted by navigatro View Post
[

No, you do not go to full power on the remaining engines. The reduced power settings factor in the loss of an engine when calculating obstacle clearance.
What kind of a/c are we talking about here? I have flown the BE 1900, BA 4100, and EMB 145...So nothing close to heavy, but this is new to me. The 1900 didn't use reduced power takeoffs, but both the BA 4100 and EMB 145 we use reduced takeoffs unless we need full power. On both of those planes if we lose an engine the first thing we do is go to full power on the good engine....(the EMB 145 even has a logic that will automatically put the good engine to full power if one is lost during reduced takeoff thrust mode) Our memory items include moving the thrust lever to the full power stop as a backup to the auto logic to make sure the good engine goes to full power.

Oh and for the F18 guy...the amount we reduce thrust by is right around 10% of the thrust so that means we takeoff at 90% thrust (lbs not N1 setting). From what I've noticed it doesn't seem to make a big difference if you reduce or not for the same weight....a bigger difference is felt compared to being light vs heavy.